Question on Using check_disk for multiple partitions

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 22:54:29 CEST 2010

I have a need to check about 10 server partitions on 1200 servers in a distributed Nagios environment.  Down the road, I would probably use event handlers to correct known space issues for certain partitions.

My question is is it significantly more efficient to check all of the partitions in a single check or seperate checks ?  All of the servers being checked are identical in configuration & build and all have the same partitions.

If I run this service check :

check_command                   check_space!15%!10%!/opt!/tmp!/VMware!/test!/var!/work!/steve!/partition1

With this in commands.cfg :

define command {

        command_name    check_space

        command_line    $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTNAME$ -C "/usr/local/nagios
/libexec/check_disk -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$ -p $ARG4$ -p $ARG5$ -p $ARG6$
-p $ARG7$ -p $ARG8$" -q

}

This does work,  but I am wondering if I am running the check 1x for each partition listed or is it running 1x and giving me back all partition info. ( kind of like a df -h )

Also, if I run it like this, is there an easy way to configure event handlers to run for the specific partition that has alerted?  Since a space issue in /tmp is not due to the same issue that /work fills up.

Thanks,

Steve