NRPE check_procs cutting off arguments?

Robert Swerdlow rswerdlow at emergentdiscovery.com
Wed Sep 1 20:41:23 CEST 2010

We are using Nagios 3.0.5 and one of our services monitors a
particular job on a particular server:

define service{
	check_command			check_nrpe!check_myown1_job
}

and in the nrpe.cfg file we define that command:
	command[check_myown1_job]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -c 1:1
-a /home/myuser01/src/server/scripts/sync_api/
make_async_xmlrequest_libraries.py

We just upgraded NRPE and this check started failing - it reported 0
processes.  However, the process was running and the command works
fine when run locally on the target machine.

After some trial and error, I discovered that the arguments to the
target process seem to be cut off.

This works:
	command[check_myown1_job]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -c 1:1
-a /home/myuser01/src/server/scripts/sync_api/make_as
but this fails:
	command[check_myown1_job]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -c 1:1
-a /home/myuser01/src/server/scripts/sync_api/make_asy

The commands are identical except that the second one has one
additional character ('y').  Any command longer than the first one
fails.

This also works:
	command[check_myown1_job]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -c 1:1
-a make_as
but this also fails:
	command[check_myown1_job]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -c 1:1
-a make_asy
So, it does not seem to be a problem in the argument string passed
in, but rather in the arguments read from the remote machine.

Is there some setting that controls size of the argument on the
target machine that will allow me to specify the entire argument?

Bob Swerdlow
Chief Engineer
Emergent Discovery
rswerdlow at emergentdiscovery.com