Overriding notification contacts

J.M. jm+nagios-users at roth.lu
Wed Sep 1 10:37:08 CEST 2010

Hey there,

In case one has many services checked via wildcard templates:

define service {
        name            std
        use             normal
        register        0 ;;; template

        host_name       * ;;; ALL hosts

        check_period    24x7
        ; contact_groups are inherited from host definitions
}

define service {
        name            std_ping
        use             std

        service_description            PING
        check_command                  check_ping
}

Now suppose there are services for a few hosts that would need to have a
different check_period (they have, in hosts.cfg).

What would be the most elegant way to accomplish that without adding too many
new services?

Would/could the check_period maybe be inherited from the host? Don't think so.

As far as I can see, just adding the concerned services with a specific host
will only result in duplicate service definition warnings. Unless one would have
to remember removing those specific hosts from the wildcard service while
defining the more specific service. In that scenario some kind of override would
be cool.

Any thoughts that didn't cross my mind yet?

Regards,
JM