[Help] Behaviour of on-demand function for host check

Yu Watanabe yu.watanabe at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Sep 1 09:01:05 CEST 2010

Hello all.

I would like to get some help with the on-demand ability for host check.
In the manual it says ,

"Regularly scheduled host checks are optional. If you set the check_interval option in your host definition to zero (0), Nagios will not perform checks
of the hosts on a regular basis. It will, however, still perform on-demand checks of the host as needed for other parts of the monitoring logic. "

I thought if the 'check_interval' parameter was not specified ,
the host check would become as on-demand check.

However, I have a following definition on a certain host
but the check interval is '5 min'.

* I have the time unit as the defualt value.

# host object definition
define host {
        host_name                       elangen
        alias                           elangen
        address                         192.168.1.154
        parents                         localhost
        hostgroups                      linux-servers
        check_command                   check-host-alive
        use                             generic-host
        register                        1
        }

# host template object definition
define host {
       name                                     generic-host
       check_command                            check-host-alive
       max_check_attempts                       3
       retry_interval                           1
       check_period                             24x7
       event_handler_enabled                    1
       flap_detection_enabled                   1
       process_perf_data                        1
       retain_status_information                1
       retain_nonstatus_information             1
       contacts                                 nagiosadmin
       contact_groups                           admins
       notification_period                      24x7
       notification_options                     d,u,r,f
       notifications_enabled                    1
       action_url                               /pnp4nagios/index.php/graph?host=$HOSTNAME$&srv=_HOST_
       failure_prediction_enabled               1
       register                                 0

}

Do I have to set the actual 'check_interval' as 0 in order to use the on-demand ability?

Thank you
Yu Watanabe