Nagios/NRPE script getting "No output returned from plugin"

Rick Munn rick at screenscape.net
Fri Oct 29 13:43:26 CEST 2010

Thank you, your direction put me in the correct direction:

Problem, I wasn't passing an attribute value in my service definition; thus,
I was trying to execute the NREP without an attribute value (e.g check_nrpe
-H hostname -c check_kernel -a).

Solved by adding "!attribute" text to my service check_command syntax.  It
doesn't do anything but satisfy my NRPE command_line command's
parsing/execution.

(1) define service{
        use                     generic-service
        host_name               DEV-APP1A-dappsi01a
        servicegroups           dev-services
        service_description     Kernel Version
        check_command           check_nrpe!check_kernel!attribute
        }
(2) define command{
        command_name check_nrpe
        command_line $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -a $ARG2$
        }

Cheers,
Rick