host_port objects - Enhancement Request

Ton Voon tonvoon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 01:35:00 CEST 2010

On 28 Oct 2010, at 16:16, Jason Frisvold wrote:

> Nagios Enhancement Proposal
>
> Overview
>
> Currently, there are two primary ways to add individual physical ports
> for a port-based device.  Each method has both advantages and
> disadvantages, but neither fully satisfies the needs of Lafayette and,
> likely, other institutions.

Opsview (http://opsview.com) has the "Service-based Ports" way of
doing this. You assign "host attributes" with X number of items to a
host and then Opsview will generate X service checks against it. An
example of this is urls or disks or processes.

But the most common request for X number of things is interfaces, so
we've designed some special pages for that. There's a discovery page
where you click "Query Host" and you get a list of all your interfaces
and you just tick which ones you want monitored, with your desired
thresholds. And there's a Host Interfaces page where you can see a
graph of all your interfaces with throughput and errors/discards.

See our screencast at http://bit.ly/dnWPJI  (from 02:10 onwards) to
watch it in action.

Ton