host_port objects - Enhancement Request

Rutger Blom rutger at blokje.net
Thu Oct 28 18:39:05 CEST 2010

I use check_mk which automatically does a host inventory and adds
active interfaces to the configuration.
Off topic: I have to say the check_mk in combination with
mk_livestatus and multisite make Nagios a much better solution. I
wonder if and when the Nagios team is going to adopt this solution and
make it a part of Nagios Core.

/Rutger

On Thursday, October 28, 2010, Jason Frisvold <frisvolj at lafayette.edu> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>         We are planning on submitting an enhancement request to Nagios with the
> intention of having their professional services group code this for us.
>  We are interested in having our changes made available to the community
> as well, so we wanted to get feedback from the community before we
> submit the proposal.  Any and all feedback is welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Nagios Enhancement Proposal
>
> Overview
>
> Currently, there are two primary ways to add individual physical ports
> for a port-based device.  Each method has both advantages and
> disadvantages, but neither fully satisfies the needs of Lafayette and,
> likely, other institutions.
>
> Service-based Ports
>
> The first method is to treat ports as a service of a host and add them
> as service entries.  The following configuration snippet demonstrates this :
>
> define host {
>    use                  cisco-switch-standard
>    host_name            switch.lafayette.edu
>    address              192.168.0.100
>    hostgroups           cisco-switch-standard
>    parents              router.lafayette.edu
> }
>
> define service {
>    use                  service-standard
>    hosts                switch.lafayette.edu
>    servicegroups        cisco-switch-standard
>    service_description  Switch Port Gi1/0/1
>    check_command        check_snmp_traffic!-N Gi1/0/1!-C $USER2$
> }
>
> In short, this configuration defines a host and then a service for that
> host which is, essentially, an snmp check that monitors the traffic on a
> specific port.
>
> Advantages
> * Cleanly links a port to a switch
> * Somewhat easy to add/remove specific hosts that need that port monitored
>
> Disadvantages
> * Parent/child relationships are difficult, if not impossible, to define
> * Making service changes for a single port requires creating a unique
> new service
> * Service descriptions can get a bit long when they need to have a
> meaningful description associated with them
> * Ports with associated addresses are more difficult to define
>

> Host-based Ports
>
> Another method to accomplish this is to create a “fake” host entry for
> each port and then assign services to those ports for monitoring.  The
> following configuration snippet demonstrates this :
>
> define host {
>    use                  cisco-switch-standard
>    host_name            switch.lafayette.edu
>    address              192.168.0.100
>    hostgroups           cisco-switch-standard
>    parents              router.lafayette.edu
> }
>
> define host {
>    use                  cisco-switch-standard
>    host_name            switch-g1-0-1.lafayette.edu
>    address              192.168.0.100
>    hostgroups           cisco-switch-standard
> [...]

Rutger Blom
Luzernvägen 14
227 38 LUND
Sweden