check_ping service question

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Fri Oct 8 22:10:04 CEST 2010

  On 10/7/2010 2:41 PM, Ilan Berkner wrote:
> newbie question...
>
> I have a service defined in my services.cfg file that looks like this:
>
> define service {
> use generic-service
> host_name myserver
> service_description PING
> check_command check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
> }
>
> in my hosts file have "myserver" defined with an address tag:
> www.myserver.com <http://www.myserver.com>
>
> when the check_ping command runs, does it check the ping status
> against www.myserver.com <http://www.myserver.com> even though I'm not
> specifically specifying the host in the check_ping command?

The "check_ping" command in your service definition is *not* a reference
to the "check_ping" plugin, it's a reference to the "check_ping" check
command defined somewhere else in your config.  Normally that command
will call a plugin (in this case, most likely check_ping) with some set
of arguments, which in most cases include the address of the host on
which the service was defined.