Check timeout value question

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 30 16:42:57 CET 2010

I am running a homemade check to check about 8 core processes.  Occasionally the check times out after 10 seconds.

All this check does is run /etc/init.d/xxxx status and use either the 0 or 1 exit code to report that the process is OK or Critical.

I verified in my nagios.cfg file the timeoout setting is set to 60 secs and the utils.pm variable for timeout is set to 15 seconds.

I have no timeout setting in this script but figured I need one.  Where is the check getting the 10 sec value from?  I assume its a default for a nagios check.

If I rewrite the script in perl ( its a simple bash now) and use the utils.pm, does that automatically give me the -t option where I could set any timeout value or will it only set the timeout to 15 seconds as in the utils.pm?

Is there a simple way to add a timeout for this check only ?

Thanks,

Steve