$HOME is not set correctly for plug-ins

Jon Adcock AdcockJ at leoncountyfl.gov
Wed Nov 24 22:04:19 CET 2010

Alexander,

  It sounds like you are saying that you login as root, then su to nagios.  If that's the case, make sure that you use su - nagios
The hyphen tells su to use the environmental variables of the user that you are switching to.  Without using the hyphen, it continues to use the environmental variables of the base user (root in this case).

Jon Adcock
Network Systems Administrator
MIS / Systems Team
Leon County
(850) 606-5500
>>> Alexander Haas <alex at geloet.de> 11/24/2010 3:39 PM >>>
Hi Nagios users,

this is my first post. I encountered a behavior I am not able to
understand. Well, I guess I did understand it, but I don't know how to
counter it :)

When I write a plug-in for Nagios it is executed as nagios:nagios. Yet
$HOME is set to "/root".

My /etc/password and nagios's home-directory are ok. It works well when
I log in as user nagios and execute the plug-in there.

I did expect to find some attributes for command definitions to set the
home directory, but I could not find any.

I guess the whole thing has to do with su and the way it does (not)
handle the home directory or environment in general.

Currently I work around that behavior using this code:
if [ "$HOME" == "/root" ] && [ "`whoami`" == "nagios" ]
then
     HOME="/usr/local/nagios"
fi

But as you might guess I am not very satisfied.

Thanks in advance,

Alex