Notifications and Escalations and Notification_intervals, oh my!

Mike Neimoyer mike at summersault.com
Fri Nov 19 20:34:24 CET 2010

Hello, all!

I'm trying to understand how notification intervals work when it comes
to basic service definitions and serviceescalation definitions. Does
Nagios disregard the initial notification_interval of a service
definition, once it reaches an escalation, in favor of the escalation's
notification_interval?

Example:
I have a service's notification_interval set to 15, so that once a state
change occurs, a notification is sent out, then another after 15
minutes, and another after 15 minutes, etc... With Nagios counting the
notifications as they get sent.

Now, I want to define an escalation for that service so that on
notification number 2 Nagios notifies a different contact_group.  I have
the notification_interval for the escalation set to 10 minutes.

How does the notification_interval work in this instance, where the
period is different?

Thanks!
~~Mike