Some alerts not getting to sendmail

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Nov 18 16:58:16 CET 2010

On 11/18/2010 03:48 PM, Tim Palmer wrote:
> Good morning, or whatever as the case may be...
>
> I have a Nagios 3.2.1install which is showing a problem I'm unsure how
> to troubleshoot further. It's either something simple I'm missing, or a
> deeper, more difficult problem. Or a transient to be perhaps put on a
> shelf until it happens again.
>
> First, the questions:
> - Is the notifications log absolute?
>      - Meaning, if a notification is shown in this log, it has passed all
> filters (notification options etc) and Nagios believes it was submitted
> to the MTA.

Yes.

> - Is there anywhere besides the MTA's log,status.dat and nagios.log to
> look for clues to mail problems?

The receiving end comes to mind, or any server(s) in between.

> ==============
> Details
> - Running on FreeBSD 7.0, using stock sendmail on localhost.
> - In general, everything is working fine. 125 hosts, 1600 ish services.
> This system has been up and stable for a few months.
>
> Host and service notifications of all kinds go out properly all the time.
>
> Last night, I had a host go down. Notification got to my cell phone and
> the other contacts it's configured to just fine. This morning, I dealt
> with the problem host and Nagios showed it back up. But no Host up
> notification to any of the configured contacts. The Notifications log
> shows the host up notifications as having been sent. There's nothing in
> /var/log/maillog for the time Nagios says the notifications were sent.
> In status.dat, the record for my cell contact has a
> "last_host_notification" line with the epoch time version of the exact
> second the notification was in theory sent. Host and template records
> included at the bottom of this email. I've included one contact def, but
> there were 4 contacts, using 2 different scripts that should have
> received the notification.
>
> As far as I can see, there is nothing in the host configuration or
> related templates that would keep a host up notification from being sent.
>
> We use custom host-notify scripts which log actions, and again, no
> entries for the specific problem, but lots of other notifications before
> and after. These scripts could be the problem, but I want to rule out
> other issues first.

Notifications are a pretty integral part to what makes Nagios worth
anything at all. Since you're using homebrewed scripts and noone else
has reported any problems with them, I suggest you first debug your
own scripts, or enable debug-logging for notifications. The dosc will
tell you how to do that. It won't help for this occurrance of the
failed notifications, but it will definitely help you in the future
if it ever happens again.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.