too much passive check status coming in

marc pascual marc.m.pascual at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 03:11:59 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:

> On 11/17/2010 08:11 PM, marc pascual wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have too much passive checks coming in (12*880) to the point that some
> > aren't getting processed by nagios. Now I've decided to rewrite the
> plugins
> > so that it will only report state changes via nsca. (OK-to-CRIT and
> > CRIT-to-OK). The problem I see with this move is that, if something
> > temporarily hampers an nsca communication (e.g. transient high load, or
> > temporary network blip), then there's no guaranteed way for nagios to
> know
> > the real state of the service on the next check cycle. I wonder if anyone
> > out there has implemented their checks similar to this, and what
> solutions
> > or workarounds were implemented to make sure that nagios will eventually
> get
> > updated with the correct states.
> >

> You want freshness checks. Browse the nagios documentation for it and
> you'll
> find what you're looking for.
>
> Welcome to the list btw. It seems things finally worked out for you.

But freshness checks imply that checks should be coming in at a regular
interval (unless I'm mistaken). In this case, I don't have an idea when the
next check result will come as I'm only sending results on state changes.

(Thanks for the help earlier/yesterday, I had to re-resubscribe my email
address "with the dots" in it)

Marc