Notifications on passive service checks

Alberto Menichetti alb.menichetti at tai.it
Wed Nov 17 00:38:58 CET 2010

In my opinion it'useless in  this scenario; the official doc says:

Volatile services differ from "normal" services in three important ways.
*/Each time/ they are checked* when they are in a hard non-OK state, and
the check returns a non-OK state (i.e. no state change has occurred)...

But in my setup passive services are never checked (they are  trap
collectors,  and  my devices send  traps on state change).
Let's suppose this scenario:

1. interface Gi0/1 on catalyst switch goes down
2. the switch sends a linkDown trap to the manager
3. the manager decodes the event and submits the alert via nagios.cmd
4. the service associated with that switch changes it's state to critical
5. the contacts are notified (the first time)
6. that's all...contacts will never be notified again until a new
linkDown trap is processed

e-mail: alb.menichetti at tai.it
http://www.tai.it