Next possible notification time bug

Chung, Jeff Jeff.Chung at sig.com
Tue Nov 16 23:24:19 CET 2010

Not using exclude works perfectly.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Ericsson [mailto:ae at op5.se]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:56 PM
To: Nagios Users List
Cc: Chung, Jeff
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Next possible notification time bug

On 11/16/2010 10:43 PM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Please set your MUA to wrap long lines at something sensible (72 chars
> is the standard, I think).
>
> On 11/16/2010 09:44 PM, Chung, Jeff wrote:
>> Hi, Here is the problem I'm trying to solve.  We have services that
>> have a set maintenance window, for example every Tuesday from 13:30
>> to 14:00.  So to stop Nagios from sending notifications during this
>> maintenance window I have created a time period that excludes
>> "tuesday 13:30-14:00" and use it as the notification_period for the
>> service.  When testing this it seems like Nagios isn't correctly
>> picking the next available time to send notifications out.  I have
>> configured a service called "TEST_SERVICE2" to return CRITICAL status
>> starting at 13:57:28 (which is during the maintenance window).  In
>> Nagios' debug log it says "Next possible notification time: Wed Nov
>> 17 00:00:00 2010", but I think the next possible time should be Nov
>> 16 14:00 or soon after.  Anyone else came across this issue?
>>

> exclude is a fairly new feature, which surprisingly few people use.
> I have no doubts there are bugs in it. Thanks for reporting this
> though. I should probably write up a test-case for it, but that'll
> have to wait til next time I'm fiddling with the Nagios sources.

On a side-note though; Does it work properly if you create your
'test' timeperiod like so:

define timeperiod {
        use             24x7
        timeperiod_name test
        alias           Test timeperiod
        tuesday         00:00-13:30,14:00-24:00
}

If it does, we'll know for sure that it's a bug with the 'exclude'
directive. Thanks.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this email and/or its attachments is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by reply and immediately delete this message and all its attachments. Any review, use, reproduction, disclosure or dissemination of this message or any attachment by an unintended recipient is strictly prohibited. Neither this message nor any attachment is intended as or should be construed as an offer, solicitation or recommendation to buy or sell any security or other financial instrument. Neither the sender, his or her employer nor any of their respective affiliates makes any warranties as to the completeness or accuracy of any of the information contained herein or that this message or any of its attachments is free of vi
 ruses.