upgrade nagios 1.4.1 to nagios 3.2.3

Sunny Jaisinghani Sunny_Jaisinghani at symantec.com
Sat Nov 13 12:09:59 CET 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Ericsson [mailto:ae at op5.se]
Sent: 12 November 2010 17:34
To: Nagios Users List
Cc: Sunny Jaisinghani
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] upgrade nagios 1.4.1 to nagios 3.2.3

On 11/12/2010 10:02 AM, Sunny Jaisinghani wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Can someone describe steps to upgrade nagios 1.4.1 to nagios 3.2.3.
>
> Currently i am monitoring over 500 hosts and 3000 services using
nagios
> 1.4.1
>
> I am also using nsca and ocsp for nagios failover.
>

> Nagios 1.4.1 is installed using rpms
>

> nagios-plugins-1.3.1-10.rhel3.dag
>
> nagios-plugins-nrpe-2.0-3.rhel3.dag
>
> nagios-nrpe-2.0-3.rhel3.dag
>
> nagios-nsca-2.4-2.rhel3.dag
>
> nagios-1.4.1-1.el3.rf
>

> I wish to install the newer version using rpm. These are the rpms i
> found
>

> nagios-3.2.3-2.el5.rf.i386.rpm
>
> nagios-devel-3.2.3-2.el5.rf.i386.rpm

RPM packages quite often contain trigger-scripts that handle
everything automagically. That might not be the case if you go
from rhel3 to rhel5 packages though.

Make backups before you try anything.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

Hey Andreas,

Going to rhel 5 from rhel 3 is also in my to do list.
May be, i'll upgrade to rhel 5 before i upgrade nagios to 3.2.3

So, since i am gonna use the rpm, you suggest taking backups and just
upgrading the nagios packages. Right?

Anything apart from this that i need to take care of?

Thanks
Sunny