different notification_intervals by contact

Frost, Mark {PBC} mark.frost1 at pepsico.com
Fri Nov 12 19:06:34 CET 2010

From: Duncan Berriman [mailto:duncan at dcl.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:00 PM
To: 'Nagios Users List'
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] different notification_intervals by contact

Escalations are a little pesky to get working correctly.

Here is an example.

Thanks, Duncan.

I've decided to take a somewhat different approach.  Ultimately, what they want is for the pager to occur at 4x the frequency of the e-mail (15 minutes versus 1 hour).

So this doesn't wind up being all that hard if I make a contact that calls a simple shell script.  That shell script then looks at the NOTIFICATIONNUMBER to (in this case) determine if it's a multiple of 4 and if so, sends the alert.  In fact, I'm going to make this so that's going to take an argument to determine what number to perform 'modulo' on.  So in theory this could be reused if someone wanted to have something run every other notification number, every 6th, etc, indefinitely.

The downside as I see it is that Nagios won't quite have an accurate representation of who got what notifications.  From Nagios' perspective, it sent an alert to the mailing list, but really, the script acts as a gateway to determine if a message was actually sent.  So the "Notifications" for the host/service as shown in the UI will not be quite correct.  But I think they can live with that.

Mark