SMS Foxbox

Mark Young mark at zarzax.com
Wed Nov 10 04:07:38 CET 2010

On Nov 5, 2010, at 4:44 AM, Rutger Blom wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I was wondering if any of you have experience with using the SMS Foxbox and Nagios? Are you satisfied with the product? Is there any other solution you would recommend instead?
>
> http://www.nagios.org/products/notification/foxbox/
>
> /Rutger

Hi Rutger,

I originally demoed the SMS FoxBox while working at Nagios Enterprises in 2007.  My original integration attempt was written up on the wiki http://wiki.nagios.org/index.php/ACME_SYSTEMS_SMSFoxBox.  The device is a small embedded linux server that takes a SIM card and has a external antenna.  *It is very important that it has cell (GSM) reception.  Also my knowledge of the device is now a few years old.

My experience was that it worked very well.  It has the limitation that it can only send one message at a time (one GSM modem).  My script from the wiki page used the web api, where you use a web address to send the message body and recipient.  This was only able to handle a few requests before it overwhelmed the small web server.  I later created another script that uploaded messages to a spool directory on the device (using SCP).  This was able to handle a large number of messages but it takes a long time for the device to process messages.  I would say if you have over 20 notification recipients you may want to look for an alternative.  There are web services that handle these requests (AlarmTilt) or many people now use email addresses provided by cell providers that text phones (http:/
 /www.emailtextmessages.com/).

I hope that this helps you out.  Good luck in your quest!

Mark Young