Nagios host flapping on centos 5.4 ?

Kimmo.Lahteenlahti at nokia.com Kimmo.Lahteenlahti at nokia.com
Thu May 27 22:14:34 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have Nagios installed on Ubuntu 8.04 running on Vmware Vsphere and Centos 5.4 running on IBM hs20 blade.
Both are identical setup and they are checking same servers.

But for some reason in centos almost half of the checked  host are flapping at any given time (40 host to check)
Biggest difference between this environments is that Ubuntu is using Nagios 3.0.6 and centos 3.2.1.

Have any of you noted similar behavior ?

I followed this guide when installing nagios to centos:
http://docs.cslabs.clarkson.edu/wiki/Install_Nagios_on_CentOS_5

And for some reason I can't stop nagios service in the Centos:
/etc/init.d/nagios stop
nagios (pid  2647) is running...
Stopping nagios:                                           [FAILED]

Or restart:
/etc/init.d/nagios restart
Stopping nagios:                                           [FAILED]
Starting nagios:

Restart via nagios.cmd works. Any idea why this is happening ?

-       Kimmo