Nagios development moving forward

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu May 27 15:51:39 CEST 2010

On 05/27/2010 03:33 PM, Michael Friedrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just some feedback from my side on your patches.

Primarily code reduction and simplification. The diffstat between my
dev branch and the upstream master looks like this:

Quite a few bugfixes too ofcourse.

> Your hackings are very very nice, and it's a real good start in fixing
> things and getting rid of old grown code and workarounds.

Yup. More can be done so object code only has to be compiled once for
both cgi's and core for quite a small tradeoff in memory usage. This
would mean simpler code and quite a lot simpler build-system, along
with the possibility of installing nagios-devel header files for us
eventmodule hackers.

> This commit is just WOW :-)
>
> http://git.op5.org/git/?p=nagios.git;a=commit;h=555b4b72aae54e65ba923093ef469c3aa5a0edb9

Glad you like it. Macro voodoo is something of a fetish for me.

> Regarding taking over commits, kudos have been kept both within commit
> subjects and changelog for our next release including your patches next
> to ours.

Thanks. Always nice to be appreciated.

>  From the testing arena, everything runs fine. Although the sync
> retention feature is only one half of the good, the other would be
> opsview or some nifty hacking on distributed monitoring :) Everything
> else resolves as it should be.
>

> By chance, get these changes into a revamped tar.gz and hand that to
> packagers, if it does not get into current CVS head. Or at least the
> patch set :)

I'll poke Ethan about releasing 3.2.2 from git so we can get more
people onto the latest and greatest.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.