Nagios Escalations sending host "OK" alerts

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Sat May 22 03:36:03 CEST 2010

dOE wrote:
> Has anyone else seen an issue with creating escalations in Nagios that
> SOME of the contacts assigned to the escalation will randomly reciece
> an alert/notification that reads: Subject: ** PROBLEM Host Alert:
> SEVERNAME is UP **?
>
> I have not specified to notify on "OK"
No, I've never seen a random notification from Nagios ever.  It's always
notified as configured.

Chances are you've got one of a few things going on:

a) You *have* told Nagios to notify on recovery states, either in the
host definition or in an escalation definition (which would be easy to
verify if you showed how you've configured those), or

b) You've got a couple instances of Nagios running at the same time, and
one of them is running with an old configuration that did specify to
notify on recovery, or

c) You've got mail backed up on some box somewhere (which should be
obvious from looking at timestamps and headers on the messages), or

d) Some combination of the above.