Reporting for redundant hosts

Stephan Tesch s.tesch at science-computing.de
Thu May 20 18:28:47 CEST 2010

Am 20.05.2010 11:32, schrieb Assaf Flatto:

Hello Assaf,

> One approach is to monitor a VIP for the service (i.e. the "clustered"
> ip of the external facing IP address of the routers) for  finding if the
> service is up , and the individual devices by their direct IP  for each
> device  activity .
>
> This will give you both the business view ( if the VIP is down then the
> business is impacted) , and the operational view ( one device impacted ).

This is for sure a good idea. On the other hand this would mean that we
have to monitor another "host" and also plan for downtimes of this host,
too. An approach where I just define the redundant hosts and get the
report that I need would in my opinion be the better one. The data is
all there, it just has to be evaluated. I really can't believe, that I'm
the only one with this problem?

Best regards,
Stephan

--
Stephan Tesch                Phone + 49 (0)7071-9457-608
science + computing ag       FAX   + 49 (0)7071-9457-511
D-72070 Tuebingen            Email: s.tesch at science-computing.de

--
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Dr. Roland Niemeier,