trying to fix problem with excessive latency

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed May 19 20:47:57 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-18 18:39, Mathieu Gagné wrote:
> On 2010-05-18 21:29, Corey Hickey wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have inherited maintenance of a medium-sized Nagios installation. We
>> currently have 649 hosts and 5415 services. Our setup works nicely, with
>> one exception: Nagios falls behind on host/service checks. Our usual
>> latency once Nagios has been running for a while is about 190-200
>> seconds. Our Nagios host is reasonably powerful and isn't struggling; it
>> seems that Nagios itself is limited somehow.
>
> Try disabling "enable_environment_macros". It helped use greatly when we
> disabled this option. Nagios was spending most of its time allocating
> memory for environment variables it never used. (in our case)
>
> Host/Service checks latency dropped from ~20 minutes to 10 seconds I
> would say.

I just tried this and latency dropped from 171 seconds to 149 seconds.
Thanks, that definitely helped. I'm actually surprised that it did,
since our nagios process doesn't seem to be CPU bound (75-85% idle,
rarely with any individual core below 40% idle). It might be that I'm
drawing the wrong conclusion from top, though, since the nagios process
moves around from core to core.

Anyway, thanks again, and thanks to everyone for the advice on- and
off-list. I'm going to try more of your suggestions, and I'll let you
know how it goes.

-Corey