How to override a command definition?

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Fri May 14 09:13:43 CEST 2010

Scot Wilcoxon wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 21:25 -0500, Marc Powell wrote:
>
>> On May 13, 2010, at 2:50 PM, Scot Wilcoxon wrote:
>>

>>> I'm trying to override the existing definition, because I'd rather not
>>> alter the configuration which is part of the installation package.
>>>
>> Just comment out the original if you want to keep it there as a reference.
>>

> I know how to alter the files, but I was hoping to leave the original
> config file alone so the system updates could replace it if necessary.
>
> Apparently Nagios is missing the ability to replace previous definitions
> (also demonstrated in the problem of "undefined" causing specific
> behavior but not being able to undefine, such as for a no-ping host).  I
> also haven't noticed a defined priority for configuration info,
> something which would be needed for an override.

Read the section of the docs on templates, which *do* allow overrides.

Your problem seems to be that you want to override a (sample?)
configuration partially supplied by someone else (your OS distribution,
I'd guess) that wasn't designed to be overriden. That's not a
shortcoming of Nagios, though; it's a result of how the configs you're
using were defined, or the way you're interpreting them.