How to override a command definition?

Scot Wilcoxon scot at wilcoxon.org
Thu May 13 21:50:02 CEST 2010

I want to make all check_http commands use a different timeout.  How can
I replace the check_http command without altering the original
definition file?

I tried redefining the command in the directory where I have my local
configuration changes, but I get the following error:
	Warning: Duplicate definition found for command 'check_http' (config
file '/etc/nagios3/conf.d/commands_local.cfg', starting on line 13)

I'm trying to override the existing definition, because I'd rather not
alter the configuration which is part of the installation package.