Host down due to plugins timing out

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Thu May 13 19:51:07 CEST 2010

Hi there --

I recently set up a new client to be monitored by our Nagios 3.1.2 server. The
client is running the CentOS 5.4
operating system, and it has version 2.6 of NRPE as well as version 2.12 of the
plugins installed on it. I made
sure to deactivate the firewall on the system, disable the SELinux option, and
also modified the /etc/services
file to include port 5666 with udp and tcp.

The problem that I am having is that even though everything appears to be
running properly, the requests that
are sent from the Nagios server to the client are timing out, with the result
being the client appearing as down.
The client has the nrpe program running with the following configuration:

/usr/local/nrpe/bin/nrpe -n -c /usr/local/nrpe/etc/nrpe.cfg -d

I verified the plugins are working on the client, and also confirmed there are
no other clients being reported as
down. The configuration that I described is not unique to this client. This same
setup is working for other clients
that are monitored by the server.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this is occurring, and what I can do to
correct it? Thanks.

dispose of the e-mail.