Nagios plugin problem using check_nrpe

Sean McAfee smcafee at collaborativefusion.com
Tue May 11 18:51:51 CEST 2010

Antonio Fernando Evangelista wrote:
> [root at lnxaphmoa04 libexec]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_teste.pl -s4
> -w80 -c85
>
> OK: TEMPERATURA ATUAL: 30 C - THRESHOLD: 127 C
>
> *If I execute the script calling through the check_nrpe command:*
>
> [root at lnxaphmoa04 libexec]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe  -H
> localhost  -c check_teste
>
> CRITICAL: TEMPERATURA ATUAL:  C - THRESHOLD:  C

You're running the check as root, but NRPE executes checks as the nagios
user.

You'll probably be able to replicate the empty variables f you run:
[root at lnxaphmoa04 libexec]# sudo -H -u nagios
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_teste.pl -s4 -w80 -c85

The solution is:
1. Add permissions in sudoers for the nagios user to exec that script as
root without a password. The following line would allow the nagios user
to do passwordless sudo on any plugins:
nagios  ALL=(root) NOPASSWD:/usr/lcoal/nagios/libexec/

2. Change your nrpe.cfg to be:
command[check_teste]=/path/to/sudobinary
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_teste.pl -s 4 -w 80 -c 85

3. Restart npre

--
Sean McAfee
Senior Systems Engineer