Meaningful subject lines in e-mail alert

Parish, Brent bparish at cognex.com
Fri May 7 15:41:01 CEST 2010

Hi.

I personally like using the hostname first, then the service.  Something
like this for example:

     adams : RAM is in a CRITICAL state!

It makes it easier for me to sort alerts in Outlook that way (I have a
rule sending all alerts to a separate folder), so I can see everything
going on with a particular server, for example.  Or to view how long a
certain alert has been going on.

I also changed the default output to HTML for easier reading (because I
send alerts both to Instant Messenger and also email).

Not sure if this will come out nicely (still in HTML format) through the
mailing list, but here is a sample:

Alert Type

PROBLEM

Hostname

adams <http://nagios.mycompany.com/cgi-bin/status.cgi?host=adams>
(Database Server)

Address

912.267.822.2

Service

RAM <http://nagios.mycompany.com/pnp/index.php?host=adams&srv=RAM>

State

CRITICAL

Time

Thu May 6 11:17:27 EDT 2010

Info

RAM CRITICAL - 3% (7 of 196 MB) free

Inventory

View Host
<http://myinventory.mycompany.com/inventory/view?hostname=adams>

RT

Tickets
<http://myrtserver.mycompany.com/Search/Results.html?ClearRestrictions=1
&Query=Status%20!%3D%20%22resolved%22%20AND%20Content%20LIKE%20%22adams%
22>

It is hyperlinked to Nagios (host view, then service view), as well as
to this host in the inventory system and to the ticketing system (see
all touble tickets related to this host).

That's just what works for us.

-          Brent