High latency when 15% hosts offline

kristian nagios at vitro.co.uk
Thu May 6 12:10:36 CEST 2010

Hi

I'm running Nagios Core 3.2.1

Currently we have a network switch down, meaning all hosts beneath that
switch are unreachable, 42 in number (from a total of 336) . In Nagios I
have the switch set up as the parent. The switch I have set to be in
scheduled downtime until we get a replacement, to prevent notifications
being sent out.

I am finding that the service check latency is enormous and the scheduling
queue is slipping behind in time. For example, it is now 11:04am and the
next check at the top of the scheduling queue should have run at 9:52am.

Here are the service metrics from the Perf. Info page;

Check Execution Time:  	0.00 sec	30.19 sec	2.170 sec
Check Latency:			0.00 sec	13612.54 sec	7025.395 sec
Percent State Change:		0.00%		17.37%		0.50%

Are there any ways I can reduce this latency, other than disabling active
checks on all the unreachable hosts? Or any 'parallel' check tweaks I may
have mis-configured?

I'm happy to provide any other info

Thanks for any help
Kristian