Check for the IBM ds4000 series totalstorage cabinett - FIX

Enrico Zimol lomiz.mail at gmail.com
Thu May 6 11:55:13 CEST 2010

Hi at all,
I'm newbie on nagios and I'm writing here to ask you for suggestions
abut how to structure my monitoring situation.
I've to monitor linux servers for about 15/20 customers, from 1 to 5
server for each customer.
We aren't on vpn with customers, so this servers are all behind NAT.
That isn't a problem because we are the administrator of the firewall
(other linux server) so we can manage any kind of DNAT and filter
rule.

I read on official documentation that suggest to use NCSA addon for
distributed monitoring, but we choose to use NRPE addon for different
motivations like:
-customer force us to do that
-the number of monitored servers for each customer will never grow up
-the services to monitor for each server are the same (raid hw/sw,
disk usage etc)
-we need a completly centralized monitoring structure

For last sentence I thought to use the arguments option on NRPE (yes,
I read the SECURITY document).
Besides, to solve the problem of NAT with NRPE I'll do DNAT on
firewall and the port parameter on check_nrpe plugin (is there
problems to do that? I did little tests but I prefear a confirm)

To manage this structure I need to organized a well-formed config file
structure on nagios server.

I thinked to structure it like this

obj--|
	|-->templatelinuxserversgeneral.cfg

	|-->customer_1_directory|->templateserver.cfg
	|			|->server1.cfg
	|			|->server2.cfg
	|			|->servern.cfg

	|-->customer_2_directory|->templateserver.cfg
				|->server1.cfg
				|->servern.cfg

Where:
-templatelinuxserversgeneral.cfg is a very basic template for server
-customer_1_directory in wich there is 1 file for each customer's server
-templateserver.cfg will use templatelinuxserversgeneral and will add
more specific common variabiles for that customer's server like the
public IPAddress that will be the same for each customer's server.
-servern.cfg in wich there will be some very specific server variables
like nrpe port (read up).

What do you think?
How can I organize that service-server combination?

Thank's so much

P.S. sorry for my bad english

--
Enrico Zimol