Parsing Logs

patrick.morris at hp.com patrick.morris at hp.com
Thu May 6 03:24:28 CEST 2010

On Wed, 05 May 2010, Richard Lynch wrote:

> I?m just a Nagios-Newbie, but it seems like with all the tools in Nagios; escalation, flapping, etc you ought to be able to use check_smtp to provide a pretty good idea of whether the SMTP connection is really up, or really down, over a period of time, without resorting to grepping log files...

check_smtp does what it's designed to do really well: It will tell you
whether an SMTP listener is up and responding to connections.

In this case, I think the OP was trying to check SMTP authentication.
That's a little trickier, since an some cases the SMTP server may be up
and running just fine, but the auth piece is *never* required to
make a connection to an SMTP server; it's only used when determining
whether the person who is already connected is allowed to relay through
the server, and comes after all the things check_smtp is designed to
look at.

That said, it's not a hard thing to check. A simple expect script could
do it, and you might even be able to pull it off with check_tcp.

However, it what you really want to know is if the entire mail flow is
working, I'm a fan of having procmail look for trigger messages and send
a passive check result to Nagios when it sees one.  A cron job can be
set up to send mail on a regular basis, and the check can then
be configured to alert if a passive check hasn't been triggered within
a certain amount of time.  Sure, it's several pieces to set up, but it
works.