Parsing Logs

Stephen H. Dawson service at shdawson.com
Tue May 4 11:57:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

We have looked at the check_smtp option to meet our need, but do not believe this option will work.  Looking for perhaps another option.

Failure of an SMTP connection to our ISP's mail server with Nagios will only tell us that the Nagios attempt to connect has failed, at that particular point in time.  We are running our Nagios box on CentOS.  The CentOS attempt itself could well connect and send a message a few seconds/minutes before or after that.  We also run the risk of being accused of 'excessive' number of emails with our ISP's email server.

So the only reliable way of checking if ISP SMTP relay connection works is to parse the CentOS logs and look for failures to authenticate/send.

Has anyone parsed a log for review with Nagios?  If so, please advise.

Thanks,
SHD