Unable to Open Nagios WebConsole-'PageCannotbeDisplayed'

Matt Simmons standalone.sysadmin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 15:42:50 CEST 2010

Try this from a command prompt:

telnet localhost 80

then if it connects, type

GET / HTTP/1.0

and hit enter twice.

Paste the output. For instance, mine looks like this:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to newcastle.int.ia.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:40:31 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.10 with Suhosin-Patch
mod_perl/2.0.3 Perl/v5.8.8
Last-Modified: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:22:15 GMT
ETag: "3eadb-2d-460fee1e9d3c0"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Reply with the output. I doubt that you're connecting to the web
server, but this should determine whether it can be connected to, or
if something else is broken.

--Matt

PS - You don't know if your web browser is set up to talk to a proxy, do you?

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 9:03 PM,  <ravishankar.gundlapali at wipro.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please see the output mentioned in the attachment.
>>
>> Request someone to please help me on this as I am not able to
> understand what is the error.
>> Thanks & Regards,
>
> To quickly summarize: You mentioned you are entering http://localhost
> and getting a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error.
>
> This may be a dumb question, byt where are you entering
> "http://localhost"?  I would assume it's a web browser, but is it a web
> browser being run from the same machine you've installed Apache on?
>
> Yes I am running the web browser from the same machine where I have
> installed Apche.
>
> Also, it would help to know *specifically* what the error is.  Is it a
> timeout? A DNS lookup error?  Something else?  there should be more
> details, and it would help if you could pass those on.
>
> I am getting as Page Cannot be displayed.
>
> Off the top of my head, given that you have Apache running and bound to
> port 80, the following seem the most likely:
>
> Either a) Your browser and your webserver are on two different machines,
> so using "http://localhost" is not going to work, since it points to the
> machine your browser is on,
>
> b) "localhost" is somehow not defined on the machine you're using, or
>
> c) your Apache configuration is incorrect.
>
> Let me throw in a little tip on asking questions on mailing lists while
> I'm here. Details are good.  Knowing what your Apache configuration
> looks like, what's showing up in the logs, *exactly* what you're doing
> to test and what the *complete* results are of those tests, and any
> other information you have that we don't would really help someone else
> troubleshoot your issue.
>
> You've given us very little, and as a result what you now have is a
> bunch of people throwing out wild guesses since we've got no real data
> from you to work with.

> reporting any issue.

LITTLE GIRL: But which cookie will you eat FIRST?
COOKIE MONSTER: Me think you have misconception of cookie-eating process.

COOKIE MONSTER: Boy, I wish I were a sysadmin so I could go to the
NJ-PICC Sysadmin Conference! http://www.picconf.org