Antwort: Expiration of passive check results

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Tue Mar 30 15:25:49 CEST 2010

> [Nagios-users] Expiration of passive check results
>
>  - Is it possible in NAGIOS, to let the result of a passive check ,
> 'expire' after a given time period ?
>    (this could be used for errors, which are considered less
> important, and are being considered 'dead weight' for
>     the time being).
>
>    I mean if I a get a CRITICAL  (passive) test result, from outside,
> I would like NAGIOS to start a timer,
>   and set the alert to OK after a give time.
>   Now 'external' workarounds such as cron jobs may apply, but I wonder
> wether this can be handled from within NAGIOS.

Two things:

- freshness
- volatile services

Freshness determines the timeperiod where a passive checkresult is
considered "fresh" aka current. If the timeperiod is exceeded without
receiving the next passive checkresult, then nagios issues an active
check of that service. Of course you can define anything as active
check you like. I use check_dummy to give me a WARNING "No passive
data received!"

Volatile services reset themselves to an OK state after each WARNING
or CRITICAL. This is useful for things like snmp traps for example
which notify of security impacts and you just want a mail for every
checkresult that is considered a PROBLEM. Like a borderfirewall
notifying you of an ongoing portscan or whatever. Volatile services
are good for one-time notifications of events.

Regards
        Sascha

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Jürgen Baltes, Peter Blaschkowski
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Wilhelm Plumpe
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522