Unable to Open Nagios WebConsole-'PageCannotbeDisplayed'

patrick.morris at hp.com patrick.morris at hp.com
Tue Mar 30 02:28:24 CEST 2010

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, ravishankar.gundlapali at wipro.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please see the output mentioned in the attachment.
>
> Request someone to please help me on this as I am not able to understand what is the error.
> Thanks & Regards,

To quickly summarize: You mentioned you are entering http://localhost
and getting a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error.

This may be a dumb question, byt where are you entering
"http://localhost"?  I would assume it's a web browser, but is it a web
browser being run from the same machine you've installed Apache on?

Also, it would help to know *specifically* what the error is.  Is it a
timeout? A DNS lookup error?  Something else?  there should be more
details, and it would help if you could pass those on.

Off the top of my head, given that you have Apache running and bound to
port 80, the following seem the most likely:

Either a) Your browser and your webserver are on two different machines,
so using "http://localhost" is not going to work, since it points to the
machine your browser is on,

b) "localhost" is somehow not defined on the machine you're using, or

c) your Apache configuration is incorrect.

Let me throw in a little tip on asking questions on mailing lists while
I'm here. Details are good.  Knowing what your Apache configuration
looks like, what's showing up in the logs, *exactly* what you're doing
to test and what the *complete* results are of those tests, and any
other information you have that we don't would really help someone else
troubleshoot your issue.

You've given us very little, and as a result what you now have is a
bunch of people throwing out wild guesses since we've got no real data
from you to work with.