Checking Windows Backup (ntbackup)

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Fri Mar 26 21:06:13 CET 2010

>I've had a look around and I can't see a plugin for checking if a standard
>windows backup (using ntbackup) has been successful or not. A requirement
>has come up for me to monitor this on a Win XP based host. Am I missing
>something, or does someone have a plugin that will do this?

I just finished revamping this very process. I used to use nsca but I wanted to
use a better approach that was easier to maintain and didn't have unneeded deps
on my Nagios server.

At the start of my script, I bring a passive check into a warning state with an
snmp trap, at the end of my script, I check exit codes and now send an snmp trap
based on this code as to whether or not it failed or passed.

A freshness check makes sure it even ran, and alerts on the status of it failing.

Works very well.

For the record, my trap parsing is very flexible in that one script handles the passive
check updates for any service based on the service name.

Hth,
jlc