Does anyone have event log monitors that *work*?

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Sat Mar 20 01:18:43 CET 2010

> I agree, it's not easy.
>
> If it's any help, the best I've been able or bothered to get for
> monitoring any errors from MS SQL Server is to put this in the
> NSClient++ .ini file:
>
> Event_MSSQL=inject CheckEventLog filter=new file=application MaxWarn=1
> MaxCrit=2 filter+generated=<30m filter+eventSource=substr:MSSQL
> filter+eventType==error truncate=64
>
> This means all the command options are kept in the NSClient++ config
> which means you don't have to worry so much about escaping various
> non-alphanumeric characters.  To run the nrpe check (for example from
> the command line on your nagios server), all you need to do is:
>
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -c Event_MSSQL

Thank you, Jim.  I will give that a shot.  I very much appreciate
all the comments and suggestions I have received so far, but this
one is the most workable for me so far.  I simply cannot
re-architect our Windows network to provide events via another
transport, so the SNMP suggestion won't work.

But, the thoughts about defining the check locally is a good one,
and I'll try it out on Monday.

And anyone else out there that is monitoring Windows event logs
successfully, PLEASE chime in with thoughts/suggestions!  I
*know* there are a bunch of you out there, I'd love to hear how
you do it!  :)

Thanks everyone!

Benny

--
"Show me on the doll where the marketing touched you."
                               -- "Mally" on Fazed.net