Host check timing

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Thu Mar 18 15:53:56 CET 2010

I'm monitoring some far-away remote hosts, that we connect to via the
public internet (well, there's an encrypted VPN involved).  I'm trying not
to send notifications until an outage persists for a while.

In an example I looked at this morning, I see that it was repeating the
host check every 10 seconds until it hit the retry count.

Where does that 10 seconds time come from?  The manual is remarkably vague
about host check scheduling; about all it says is that it does them on
demand, and "If the first host check returns a non-OK state, Nagios will
keep pounding out checks of the host until either (a) the maximum number
of host checks (specified by the max_attempts option in the host
definition) is reached or (b) a host check results in an OK state."

Does this mean I have no control over the timing?  Can I treat the 10
second observed delay as real (and then control total time delay by
setting max_attempts high)?

(Running Nagios 2.12 on Centos 5).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/