Performance

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Mon Mar 15 23:32:33 CET 2010

On 15 March 2010 22:02, Eduardo Barreto <lecb79 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All, Could anybody tell me what's better, checking hosts through icmp
> protocol or snmp? What are the risks or may set the network at all on a poor
> status?

In Nagios, you should check a host using ICMP (the Nagios host check
is only to see if the host is alive).

SNMP can be used for service checks in Nagios, but some people say
that security is bad with SNMP.

If your servers are not connected to the internet, SNMP is perhaps ok.
 I use SNMP to test disk space, users, cpu load and some other checks
for some of my servers inside my network.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jim