check_by_ssh from a different username

Matt Simmons standalone.sysadmin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 15:46:13 CET 2010

Yes. And you can simplify this by running ssh-copy-id as the Nagios user:

--
nagios at monServ:~$ ssh-copy-id remUser at remHost
remUser at remHost's password:

  .ssh/authorized_keys

to make sure we haven't added extra keys that you weren't expecting.
--

Most Linux systems that I've seen provide this script. Other Unices
may not have it. If it's there, it makes it much faster than manually

--Matt

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2010, at 12:46 AM, Morris, Patrick wrote:
>
>>> How can I use check_by_ssh to monitor remote servers, when the
>>> username on the remote box is different from the Nagios user name?
>>
>> Install the private keys of the remote users on the Nagios machine under
>> the nagios user.  You've already determined they work, so now copy them
>> over.
>
> Actually, it's the opposite. He needs to add the nagios user's public key to the authorized_keys file for each user on the remote machines.
>
> Moving private keys around is a security no-no.
>
> --
> Marc

LITTLE GIRL: But which cookie will you eat FIRST?
COOKIE MONSTER: Me think you have misconception of cookie-eating process.

COOKIE MONSTER: Boy, I wish I were a sysadmin so I could go to the
NJ-PICC Sysadmin Conference! http://www.picconf.org