patrick.morris at hp.com patrick.morris at hp.com
Tue Mar 9 02:19:07 CET 2010

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010, Gezina Dekker wrote:

> What is the chance that it goes to mysql if it cannot find .htaccess?
>
> 2010/3/9 Gezina Dekker <gezinker at gmail.com<mailto:gezinker at gmail.com>>
> Marc,
>
> I installed Redhat RHEL 64bit. I made no modifications at all. The main purpose of this box is to run this nagios test server. I just looked thru httpd.conf, and couldn't find anything in there.
> What should I be looking for? I expected it to read the value from /usr/local/nagios/etc/htaccess.users
> I even had a look at "service --status-all | grep mysql, and could not find any mysql running. This is bisarre.
> I am really stuck here.

Instead of wild guesses, how about how let us know what the
authentication-related sections of your webserver configuration
(especially any pertaining to Nagios) look like?

The answer to whether Apache will fall back to MySQL if it can't find a
.htaccess file are exactly equal to the chances it's configured to do
that.  Don't forget that most version of RHEL (and it would help to know
which you're running) place suplemental configs into /etc/httpd/conf.d.
Have you looked at those?

There's something strange about your setup.  I've never seen an
out-of-the-box Apache installation on any version of RHEL try to do
MySQL auth by default. Unfortunately, you're going to have to locate
that little bit of strangeness before we can help you fix it.