Any chance that the list owner can delete these users???

patrick.morris at hp.com patrick.morris at hp.com
Tue Mar 9 00:45:43 CET 2010

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010, Gezina Dekker wrote:

> Any chance that the list owner can delete these users???
>
> 2010/3/8 Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON at ihemail4.lucent.com<mailto:MAILER-DAEMON at ihemail4.lucent.com>>
> The original message was received at Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:47:47 -0600 (CST)
> from h135-1-218-53.lucent.com<http://h135-1-218-53.lucent.com/> [135.1.218.53]
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <j.sherman at hp.com<mailto:j.sherman at hp.com>>
>    (reason: 554 5.7.1 <gezinker at gmail.com<mailto:gezinker at gmail.com>>: Sender address rejected: This gmail.com<http://gmail.com/> mail didn't really arrive via a gmail.com<http://gmail.com/> mail server)
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> ... while talking to smtp.hp.com<http://smtp.hp.com/>.:
> <<< 554 5.7.1 <gezinker at gmail.com<mailto:gezinker at gmail.com>>: Sender address rejected: This gmail.com<http://gmail.com/> mail didn't really arrive via a gmail.com<http://gmail.com/> mail server
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
> <<< 554 5.5.1 Error: no valid recipients
>
> Final-Recipient: RFC822; j.sherman at hp.com<mailto:j.sherman at hp.com>
> Action: failed
> Remote-MTA: DNS; smtp.hp.com<http://smtp.hp.com/>
> Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 554 5.7.1 <gezinker at gmail.com<mailto:gezinker at gmail.com>>: Sender address rejected: This gmail.com<http://gmail.com/> mail didn't really arrive via a gmail.com<http://gmail.com/> mail server
> Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:47:50 -0600 (CST)

What you're suggesting, in effect, is that any of us at HP should be
removed from this list because you're sending mail with a Gmail address
through someone else's systems, and you expect that to work.

You need to modify your expectations a bit. A lot of SMTP servers (HP's
included) will do verification of things like SPF records to determine
if mail saying it's from a particular domain (in this case, gmail.com)
was sent through that domain (and in this case, the mail was sent
through lucent.com servers).

On behalf of the rest of HP, I'd like to humbly beg we be allowed to
stay on this list, and apologize for any distress this spoof detection
may have caused you.