Failure Prediction: Are we there yet?

Matt Simmons standalone.sysadmin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 22:17:54 CET 2010

Alright, so going through all of the things in my generic-services
definition that I never ever look at (event_handler_enabled? who would
set that to 0?), I came across "failure_prediction_enabled 1". I
couldn't recall memorizing that particular line from the object
definitions. I checked, and sure enough, that directive isn't listed
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#service).

I did some more research. I found out that in July of 2002, Ethan
hoped it would be out in 2003 or 2004.
(http://support.nagios.com/knowledgebase/faqs/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&catid=35&faq_id=25&expand=false&showdesc=true).
It's 6 years later, and for some reason, it's still in my config file.

I'll admit...my config file isn't the most...ahem..chaste, of configs.
It's been around the block, and is no spring chicken.

I guess what I am asking is, since it isn't in the object definitions,
and no official noise has been made about it in nearly a decade, I can
safely assume that it no longer matters. Anyone have a recent copy of
the source code lying around that they could grep? I just want to make
sure that it isn't set to More Magic
(http://catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html)

--Matt

--
LITTLE GIRL: But which cookie will you eat FIRST?
COOKIE MONSTER: Me think you have misconception of cookie-eating process.

COOKIE MONSTER: Boy, I wish I were a sysadmin so I could go to the
NJ-PICC Sysadmin Conference! http://www.picconf.org