Using NSClient with NRPE

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Mar 5 15:31:54 CET 2010

On 4 March 2010 19:37, Ron Wilson <ron at tvnz.co.nz> wrote:
> It does not work. Here is my output Wordpad was running
> libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H aks4mpp02 -u -c CheckProcState -a ShowAll wordpad.exe=started
> CRITICAL: wordpad.exe: stopped (critical)
>
> Wordpad is not running
> libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H aks4mpp02 -u -c CheckProcState -a ShowAll wordpad.exe=started
> CRITICAL: wordpad.exe: stopped (critical)
>
> So regardless of running or not it gives same answer.
>
> What am I missing

That's a bit bizarre.  I just tested by actually running wordpad on
one of my test servers:

$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -u -c
CheckProcState -a ShowAll wordpad.exe=running
OK: wordpad.exe: 1

And running two instances of Wordpad:

$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -u -c
CheckProcState -a ShowAll wordpad.exe=started
OK: wordpad.exe: 2

And after stopping wordpad:

$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -u -c
CheckProcState -a ShowAll wordpad.exe=started
CRITICAL: wordpad.exe: stopped (critical)

I would go in to task manager on the system which is running wordpard,
look in the processes tab and make absolutely sure the process which
is running is called "wordpard.exe".  If it isn't it may be that a
virus has renamed the binary to something else.

For the record, for that test I was using NSClient++ version 0.3.5.2
32-bit.  The other version I commonly use is 0.3.5.1 .

I would also check the nsclient.log file.  If still no joy, set
debug=1 in the [log] section of nsc.ini and see if debug will throw
any more light on it.

Make sure on your Nagios server that "aks4mpp02" resolves to the
correct IP address for the server you are interested in.  Also do an
"ipconfig /all" on the Windows server to make sure it has the correct
IP address.  Personally I always specify IP addresses rather than
names for hosts in my Nagios config so my monitoring won't break if
DNS goes to pot, but I digress...

hth,

Jim