Circular Service Dependencies: Better ways?

Gius, Mark mgius at createspace.com
Fri Mar 5 00:18:25 CET 2010

I have a problem that pretty much the same as this one from a couple years back:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.devel/4167/focus=4168

Basically, I want to only send notifications when both of these services are in the red:

> define servicedependency{
>         host_name                       server0
>         dependent_host_name             server1
>         dependent_service_description   service0
>         service_description             service0
>         inherits_parent                 0
>         execution_failure_criteria      n
>         notification_failure_criteria   o
>         }
> define servicedependency{
>         host_name                       server1
>         dependent_host_name             server0
>         dependent_service_description   service0
>         service_description             service0
>         inherits_parent                 0
>         execution_failure_criteria      n
>         notification_failure_criteria   o
>         }

Nagios throws an error with the above configuration (which can be overridden with -x).

The thread I reference above talks about using "check_cluster", although the documentation on that is a little sparse, and it specifically references Nagios 2, so it may not have been updated in quite some time.

Is there any better way to achieve this behavior, or is the solution from two years ago still the way to go?

-Gius