Sending email notifications

Matt Simmons standalone.sysadmin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 18:12:34 CET 2010

By default, at the top of your commands.cfg file, you'll see things
like "notify-host-by-email" and "notify-service-by-email". Those are
commands that work in conjunction with the configuration specified in
contacts.cfg.

Essentially, all of your services and hosts have or inherit a
"contact_groups" setting. That group name should be in contacts.cfg,
and it should have all of the appropriate contacts listed in it.
(see Nagios Object Definitions for more info:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html )

Assuming this is the case, and Nagios starts correctly without a
configuration error, there's probably an issue with your mail. Check
the email address that you have for your contacts. Is it correct?

Assuming so, can you send an email from the command line? Try

echo "test 1" | mail -s "test 1" contactemail at whatever

If you receive the email, but Nagios still doesn't send it, make sure
that you are able to run 'sendmail' as the nagios user (aside: people
who know more than me: does Nagios invoke sendmail as the default
MTA?).

I'm going to guess that you can't send mail from the command line
either, and that's probably because your MTA isn't setup correctly.
Check your /var/log/maillog and your Sendmail (or postfix if you're
lucky) configuration.

For better advice, I'd need more info on what was going wrong,
according to the results of the test and the log output.

Good Luck.

--Matt

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Jatin Davey <jashokda at cisco.com> wrote:
> I had a requirement to monitor Java process on my windows server and
> send an email if it goes down.
> I have achieved adding the monitoring of java process on my nagios setup
> , i have no clue what to do get nagios send notifications.
> Anyone knows please let me know the steps involved.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

LITTLE GIRL: But which cookie will you eat FIRST?
COOKIE MONSTER: Me think you have misconception of cookie-eating process.

COOKIE MONSTER: Boy, I wish I were a sysadmin so I could go to the
NJ-PICC Sysadmin Conference! http://www.picconf.org