NSCA + NSClient

Mirza Dedic mirde at oppy.com
Thu Jun 24 22:56:24 CEST 2010

Thanks, after reading the 3.x on passive_checks I get how to configure the service.

Now, what would be the benefit of having active/passive checks enabled for a service? Say, it takes <5 minutes for Nagios to process my 80 hosts/600 services, if the service that I am looking to enable passive checks on as well is checked near the end of the 5 minute mark, wouldn't it get an update much sooner having passive checks enabled?

That said, NSClient sending the information to Nagios, logically this sounds like it should work like that, or based off:

check_result_reaper_frequency=5
max_check_result_reaper_time=30

So within a max of 30 seconds, I should be able to see if that service is UP/DOWN in the Nagios (or the op5 Ninja) interface?

Are passive checks spread out like active checks on say, when Nagios starts?

Basically, I want to have the alerting tight as possible, if I login to my IIS server and stop the IISADMIN service, I want to be alerted within those 0-30 seconds based on the reaper frequency.

The box that I put Nagios on has enough CPU/RAM and fast enough subsystem I/O to build this type of configuration, but I want to make sure the logic above is correct.

Thanks.