File Monitoring

Victor Lanza vicjalan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 21:40:58 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Kyle Bader <kyle.bader at gmail.com> wrote:

> Heyo,
>
> > I’m not too interested in OS file monitoring, mostly user shared files
> and
> > only on Windows. Has anyone done this with Nagios? Aside from watching
> the
> > event log for audit traps I mean.
>
> I haven't implemented it myself but stumbled upon this today and
> remembered your post:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_alteration_monitor
>
> Might be worth checking out, especially [1] if your doing it on windows:
>
> [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365261(VS.85).aspx

Thanks Kyle, I actually had not come across this solution however from a
brief overview, it seems like it doesn't monitor file access which is what I
also want to monitor similar to the windows Event Log. Products like
tripwire, OSSEC, Samhain, etc only monitor file changes, deletes, renames,
etc. and it seems like FAM falls into that category.

I have looked into the FileSystemWatcher but it is not clear if it monitors
file access as well. I wouldn't mind using that and tying nagios into it
(via log_watch, or other means)

Thanks,

Victor