Unregister a service definition

Matthew Angelo bangers at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 09:17:50 CEST 2010

Hi Nagios Users,

I have an *extremely* modular configuration.  My template structure is well
defined and when it comes to monitoring a host, it's as simple as including
it as a Member of a Hostgroup.

An example Linux server would be:

# cat ./linux/LINUXSERVER.cfg
define host{
        use                     PROD-SERVERS
        host_name               LINUXSERVER.local.lan
        alias                   LINUXSERVER.local.lan
        address                 LINUXSERVER.local.lan
        hostgroups              LINUX, HTTP, SMTP
        }

And that's it.  It auto inherits all service checks defined against LINUX,
HTTP and SMTP.

95% of my LINUX servers have a "/apps" mount point.  Therefore it makes
sense to include a service check for it inside the LINUX host group and then
inside the Host Definition for the remaining 5% 'unregister' that service
check.

Is it possible, inside LINUXSERVER2.cfg, to say "Yes I know I'm a member of
hostgroup LINUX, but I *don't* want to inherit the service check "Disk
/apps"?

I tried:

define service{
        use                        GENERIC-SERVICE-TEMPLATE
        host_name                  LINUXSERVER2.local.lan
        service_description        Disk /apps
        check_command              null
        }

But obviously this fails with an "Already defined" error.

Appreciate any info.

Thanks,
Matthew.