Nagios & Postemsg

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Fri Jun 11 18:03:08 CEST 2010

The main things you will not get from Nagios that you almost always get with
Tivoli:
* High recurring licensing fees
* On-site Tivoli consultants

:)

Nagios does not give you "out of the box" the visualization dashboards that
Tivoli has but with Nagviz you can you make very nice graphical dashboards
at a much much lower cost to your company.

Nagios also does not do auto-discovery out of the box but there are projects
that give you that capabililty - again at a much lower cost.

Distributed Nagios - there are a few choices, you will need to take the time
to evaluate them all and choose the right one for you, but again, cost will
be lower than Tivoli.

The team I am on is building out a distributed architecture for Nagios based
on our unique requirements - self service model where many SAs can all
change configs on their schedule without our intervention, clustering, fast
redistribution of hosts/services across pollers, centralized transparent (to
the end user) command and control across all pollers.

We are using some existing tools (Nagios and Merlin) and 4 developers and
even then the TCO and maintenance cost will be magnitudes of order cheaper
than Tivoli with much more functionality than most Tivoli shops offer.

A polling model always has some challenges when it comes to scaling big but
compared to Tivoli I think you will find Nagios to be both a lot more fun, a
lot more flexible, a lot better fit, and, if politics don't interfere, your
management should be much more happy with a fixed cost development price tag
than the high $$ open ended maintenance costs of a commercial product like
Tivoli.

- Max